Shippo Releases First-ever Shipping Benchmarks Report
Insights on how online retailers across all industry categories are performing when it comes to shipping.
Today, Shippo is excited to share our very first shipping benchmarks report that analyzes global sales data from more than 70,000 customers on our platform. First, we took a look at all the industries using Shippo today—whether you’re an apparel brand or maker of home goods. Then we took a look at shipping spend, returns processes, percentage of small businesses shipping cross-borders, and average order value across all industry categories.
With Amazon spending $28 billion in 2018 on shipping alone, we think it’s just as important to find out what the leading small and medium-sized online retailers are doing when it comes to shipping.
In our new Shipping Benchmarks Report, we reveal key findings including:
- Retailers in Jewelry, Electronics, and the Medical & Rx industries, which typically ship smaller packages or have higher order values, are spending under 10 percent of average order value on shipping.
- Industries with heavier and bulkier goods like Books and Food/Grocery are spending as much as 18 percent.
- Auto, Electronics, and Apparel industries comprise the industries with most merchants sending their goods cross border—as high as 22 percent.
- You’ll see return rates as high as 9.09 percent in apparel–the leading category for returns
- The most insatiable demand is in Beauty & Skincare with average order values topping out at $354.12
To see all the insights and data from our report, download it below. We hope you find it helpful.