If you’re currently wondering how to start an online business, you’re not alone. These unprecedented times have spurred many aspiring entrepreneurs to action. Curiously, this isn’t the first time that economic and political uncertainty have inspired professional change. In fact, more than half of the companies on the 2009 Fortune 500 list were launched during a recession or bear market.
While we can’t predict what the future will bring, we do know that e-commerce is growing rapidly—driven largely by cultural shifts related to shelter-in-place policies around the world.
10 years vs. 8 weeks pic.twitter.com/aySbP0Xpd4
— 2PM (@2PMinc) May 16, 2020
For some consumers, their recent increase in online purchases is here to stay, for example:
- 14 percent of consumers have shopped a new website for basic items, with 50 percent intending to continue after COVID-19.
- 14 percent of consumers have shopped a new website for non-basic items, with 56 percent intending to continue after COVID-19.
- Relative to pre-crisis, 23 percent expect their online shopping habits to increase after COVID-19.
As you research how to start an online business, you may start to notice there are a multitude of steps to take. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed—there’s so much to do! But, our easy-to-follow, definitive guide will help you every step of the way.
We’re diving deep into every facet of creating an online business to make it easy for you to get started and scale quickly. From choosing a product and building a website to creating shipping labels and processing returns, we leave no stone unturned in the e-commerce process.
This handbook is for you if:
- You have an amazing small business idea, but not sure where to start.
- You have a new product in mind, and want to make sure there’s a market for it.
- You dream about the independence that comes from being your own boss, but don’t know what product to sell.
- You own a brick-and-mortar store, and would like to take your business online.
- You’re familiar with some aspects of business (maybe, marketing or social media), but you’re looking for the whole picture.
To make sure this advice for building a booming business is bulletproof, we tapped top e-commerce SaaS providers and online retailers to share their expertise and experience. Our roster of experts includes:
- BeanBox: Based in Seattle—arguably the coffee capital of the U.S.—Bean Box is a coffee subscription and gifting company that ships literally tons of coffee (75+ tons in 2018) to coffee lovers across the U.S. annually.
- Greenbelly Meals: Greenbelly Meals provides non-cook, ultra-lightweight, nutritious backpacking meals. Since its early years, Greenbelly Meals has at least 10x’ed its growth.
- Mail Order Mystery: Mail Order Mystery delivers a mystery story experience for kids that comes through the mail. In its busiest months, Mail Order Mystery sells around 2,500 orders.
- Mini Materials: Mini Materials sells realistically scaled-down versions of building supplies, including miniature cinder blocks, red bricks, wood pallets, lumber, and more. It ships about 300 packages a month, exceeding 500 packages during the holiday season.
- Mr. Muffin’s Trains: The owner of one of the largest public train layouts in the country, a 15,000 square foot space in Atlanta, Indiana. Mr. Muffin’s Trains sells train components online, consistently ranking in the Top 2 percent of high-performing Shopify stores. The company sees between 1,000 and 1,500 orders a month.
We are also lucky enough to share teachings from our awesome partners:
- Shopify: The all-in-one commerce platform to start, run, and grow a business, powering more than 1,000,000 businesses worldwide.
- WooCommerce: The fully-customizable, open source e-commerce platform built for WordPress, designed for small to large-sized merchants.
Each week, we’ll publish one chapter of the handbook, exploring a single aspect of online selling at a time. Once all chapters are live, we’ll have the complete handbook available for download. Sign up for as-they-happen updates here.
Pull up a chair, crack open that notebook, and let’s get to work.
Shippo provides growing e-commerce businesses with everything they need for professional shipping operations, all in one easy-to-use platform.
More than 50,000 brands use Shippo to save money on shipping, deliver better customer experiences, optimize fulfillment, facilitate returns, and grow their business.
To start shipping today, learn more about Shippo, or speak to our team of shipping experts, contact email@example.com.