Mercari is the biggest peer-to-peer marketplace from Japan, for anyone to buy and sell anything, from anywhere in seconds. List your item by taking a photo and adding a few details. After selling an item, the app helps you easily print out shipping labels and quickly drop packages in the mail.
Mercari is a community-based mobile shopping app based in Japan. Having proven their model to be successful in Japan, Mercari looked for a partner who can help them ship as they expand into the United States for the first time.
Since the entire interface runs exclusively on mobile and users are not well-versed in shipping, Mercari needed shipping to be as easy and frictionless as possible. They’ve done this by simplifying shipping into pre-packaged shipping tiers and automating the entire process. However to replicate this system, Mercari needed a shipping partner with the flexibility and power to help them do this in the United States, and they found Shippo.
- International expansion from Japan to the United States.
- Mobile only marketplace with inexperienced shippers. The shipping experience needs to be truly frictionless.
- Already proven shipping tier system with Japanese users, looked for a US shipping partner to help them replicate the same process.
Mercari provides sellers access to a few flat fee shipping tiers based on weight. With this simple system, sellers won’t have to worry about measuring the exact dimensions and weight of their item, eliminating most sources of errors in shipping.
Mercari uses Shippo’s API to validate addresses, generate shipping labels, track shipments, and access discounted USPS rates to keep shipping costs low for sellers and buyers. With the architecture of the shipping workflow in mind already, it only took one week for Mercari to fully integrate with Shippo and start shipping.
Mercari and Shippo have been working together for over two years. During this time, Mercari has been able to focus on earning new customers in the US, while Shippo took care of shipping.
As part of a regimented reporting routine to help Mercari get insights into how their users are doing, Mercari is able to pull detailed shipping reports directly from Shippo’s API. Shippo has also been able to support Mercari by providing them with benchmark reports on how their shipments are doing against the industry standard.
- Shippo continues to offer Mercari some of the best USPS discounts in the industry to keep their shipping rates low for end customers.
- Mercari is able to pull detailed reports on how their users ship and request industry benchmark data from Shippo.